Irregular teeth, misalignment, and facial abnormalities are very influencing factors on a person’s smile and, as a result, their self-confidence. One of the proven solutions to fix these defects is orthodontics. Which in addition to correcting the face gives the person a beautiful smile. In this article we will take a closer look at the science of orthodontics and its types; So stay with us until the end of this article.
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is one of the important branches of dental science that deals with the identification, diagnosis and treatment of jaw defects and irregular teeth. Nowadays, orthodontist in our country has become an important job, and we are considered among the developed countries in the world in this field.
What is the importance of orthodontics?
Orthodontics have many benefits for the individual, the most important of which are mentioned below
- Improving smile design and thus increasing self-confidence
- Prevention of physical ailments such as gastrointestinal diseases, migraines and types of headaches
How many orthodontic models do we have?
In general, we have two models of orthodontics: fixed and removable, and we explain each in detail below.
In this method of treatment, a person cannot remove the orthodontic appliance from the inside of their mouth, and a series of jewel-like objects called braces are stuck to the surface of the teeth. The best time to start orthodontic treatment is before a person reaches puberty, because with age, the speed of tooth movement becomes less than it was in adolescence and young adults.
Among the types of fixed braces, we can mention the ceramic, lingual and metal monolithic fixed braces.
This type of orthodontics refers to a variety of devices used to eliminate deformities of the jaw and teeth. Removable braces do not stick to the patient’s teeth and the patient can remove them from the mouth. Among the types of mobile orthodontic appliances, braces and retainers or orthodontic retainers can be mentioned. Invisible braces are also part of this category
What is orthodontics?
As reported, stylist braces are one of the removable braces and due to its material (thermoplastics) it is transparent, colorless and invisible on the teeth.
Retainers or retainers are devices that are used after the orthodontic treatment period has ended and maintain the corrected state of the teeth, because the teeth tend to return to their previous position for some time after the defects are corrected.
What are the advantages of fixed and removable orthodontics?
The advantages of fixed braces and removable braces are numerous, as the cost of fixed braces is less expensive than removable braces, here are some of the main advantages of this method:
- The cost of fixed braces is more reasonable than other orthodontic treatment methods.
- In fixed orthodontics, we do not need the patient’s cooperation, but please note that oral hygiene is one of the most effective ways to help with treatment.
- This method is suitable for all ages and has a great effect.
The advantages of removable orthodontics include:
- Its cost-effectiveness compared to invisible braces
- to be mobile
- Brushing your teeth is much easier because plaque can be removed from the mouth.
- The likelihood of developing caries and gums and infection is reduced, because in this method it is possible to observe the health of the mouth and teeth by removing plaque.
- Orthodontics or invisible braces do not cause a person to lose beauty.
What are the disadvantages of fixed and mobile orthodontics?
Each of these treatment methods have drawbacks which are listed below:
Disadvantages of fixed orthodontics
- Improper appearance of brackets and wires negatively affects the beauty of a person’s smile
- Due to the inability of a person to remove these braces and clean the teeth properly, the likelihood of tooth decay and the accumulation of microorganisms in the oral environment increases significantly.
Disadvantages of removable orthodontics
- Transparent plaques easily absorb food color and have an unfavorable effect, so you should constantly pay attention to colored drinks and avoid eating them.
- It is forbidden to chew and eat food with a calendar because the act of chewing damages it; You must remove it from your mouth before eating.
- You must keep orthodontic plates in your mouth for more than 22 hours and only take them out to eat, which will lead to a disorder in the condition of the teeth and double deformation of the jaw.
Solutions for the care needed during orthodontic treatment
- During orthodontic treatment, avoid drinking all kinds of soft drinks and acidic drinks like lemon and orange juice, as they will dissolve tooth enamel and tooth decay a lot.
- Make sure you floss and clean your teeth after every meal.
- Reduce the amount of sweets and sugary foods because they increase the risk of tooth decay.
The last word
Various studies have shown that seventy percent of the Iranian population suffers from facial deformities since birth. Orthodontics is one of the most specialized ways to fix these anomalies.
In this article, we tried to present the science of orthodontics and its types. If you are not satisfied with the beauty of your smile, you can refer to Dr. Davoudian’s website and contact the experts of Dr. Davoudian’s orthodontic clinic to receive advice, appointments and information about the cost of orthodontics; He is one of the best orthodontists in Tehran and has more than 12 years of useful experience and expertise in the fields of ambulatory orthodontics, invisible braces, fixed braces, and pediatric mini screw braces.